Questions to discuss
- What was the major event in the first part of the film?
- What circumstances led up to the event?
- Where did it happen and who was involved?
- What was the outcome?
- Discuss the first impressions Willie and Tom may have had of each other during their first encounter.
- What does this story teach us about wartime and its impact on people?
- Describe Willie's personality at the beginning of the film. What circumstances have made him this way?
- Why is Tom so grumpy at the beginning of the film?
- Discuss your impression of Willie's childhood in London.
- Do you think Tom did the right thing to travel to London and bring Willie back to Little Weirwold?
- How is Tom changed through his relationship with Willie?
- Do you think Tom will make a good dad to Willie? Why? Why not?
- Describe your feelings for one of the characters in the story.
- What did you think about the film?
- Talk about the story from the perspective of Tom or Willie.
- Which is your favorite part of the movie? Why is it your favorite part?
- Would you recommend the film to a friend? Why? Why not?
A message to the teachers!
See the film before you show it to your students. Some parts of the film can be hard for the students to watch.